Buying a cooker hob is usually a simple task, but have you ever wondered that actually it is really not as simple as it looks unless you are not particular about cooking. 

A gas hob is good for Asian cooking while a hotplate, an induction or a convection hob is more suitable for Europe and American cooking. 

Asian cooking usually would require a frying pan which has a bottom rounded base and a good fire in which a triple ring burner would suffice to do a wok cooking in which certain dishes is required without killing the taste because of a lack of fire, while a single ring burner would be good for soup and stewing, so choosing a suitable type of hob is also an essential part of life if you cook on a daily basis.


Gas Hob

A gas hob uses the gas whether supplied through pipe lines or by a cylinder  where certain areas do not have piped gas and it usually require an ignition starter.

The facial base of the hob varies in tempered glass or stainless steel.

Induction Hob

An induction hob is a very unique cooking method of using electricity to convert into magnetic waves to cook, that's why the base of the hob is not hot even though it is on, but due to this special cooking method, only stainless steel pots and pan would work. The ring is white in color when turned on.

Convection Hob

A convection hob on the other hand uses the technology of halogen rings which transmit infrared red rays to heat up and cook, the heat is evenly distributed around the circle, that's why you see orange rings when it is turned on, but don't use your hand to touch as it is hot . Using the convection hob doesn't have any special requirements of using special pots and pans. However, please note that there may be a electrical supply requirement.


Hotplates can be electrically or gas powered. It takes a while for the hot plate to heat up, before you can start cooking and it works by heat-transfer, an electrical element or gas fire heats up the metal plate, which in turn transfers the heat to the cookware.


There are 2 main type of cooker hoods, an extraction or recirculation model. Extraction hoods should always be your preferred option, but they are restricted and are not to be used in HDB or most private condominiums. Mostly only private and landed houses will be able to use extraction hood. Both hoods are practicably the same on the outlook, but the extraction hood requires installation of additional ducting.


If the air is recirculated through the cooker hood, this is done through a grease filter then a charcoal filter. All cooker hoods will come supplied with a grease filter, but not normally a charcoal one.

The charcoal filter containing activated charcoal which is used to remove odour and smoke from the air, before releasing the ‘purified’ air back into the kitchen needs to be replaced every year or so, depending on how much you use your cooker hood. The grease filter can either be replaced if it’s paper, or washed – usually in the dishwasher or soaking into a boiling water to allow dissipation of the oil.


Steam and odours are removed from the kitchen via ducting to the outside of the house. However, the cleaning of the metal grease filter remains the same.

Chimney Hood

Chimney hoods can mounted directly on the wall and looks like a chimney. 


Island Hood

Island hoods are mounted to be suspended from your ceiling. This is an ideal model for your hob in the middle of the Kitchen.

Canopy Hood

Canopy hoods are built-in to the underneath of a cabinet directly above the hob.

Slimline Hood

Slimline telescopic hood is small and discreet and is suitable for clean aesthetic look. Usually a front panel can be pulled out and tuck away when not in use.

Visor/Conventional Hood

Visor/Conventional hood can be mounted directly out of a wall or usually below cabinet.

Fully Integrated Hood

Integrated  hoods are built into the cabinet above your hob and are hidden behind a panel or door which must be open in order to use.